DavidÂ ToupinÂ is a Top Millennial real estate investor, speaker, and entrepreneur. David is the co-founder of Obsidian Capital, an Austin Texas-based real estate investment firm. David started investing at the age of 20 in Michigan where he bought his first property in college, aÂ 12 unitÂ apartment complex. Before graduating with a Finance degree, David had already acquired $7M in multifamily real estate holdings. By the age of 24 years old, David has built a real estate company as a key principal with over $50M in real estate holdings and hasÂ raisedÂ north of $10M in the capital. He is also the creator of theÂ best sellingÂ multifamily deal analyzer which is now being converted into a web-based software platform called Real Estate Lab.â€¯â€¯Â
- There are hundreds or thousands of other people that have done it, there’s no reason that you can’t, and it might take you a little longer, you might be a little faster. It all depends on what actions you take.Â
- You have to surround yourself with people who are going to support what you’re doing right no matter what the result is.Â
- No need to start in a single-family before going into apartments or multifamily.â€¯Â
- â€¯Making sacrifices, putting a lot of hard work. Got to be willing to do what nobody else is willing to do.Â
- What is your number one failure in real estate?Â A day before, we went under contract, it fell through to somebody else got into the seller’s ear told her she could get more for the property, she backed out.
- What is the number one thing that has contributed to your success?Â If you aren’t willing to put in the time. It’s going to take a lot longer or you may never see it.Â
- What is one nugget of investing knowledge you want to give us?Â Stick to your guns don’tÂ buy into the hype, just because other people are overpaying for properties doesn’t mean you should.Â
- What is your dream?Â My dream is to impact a lot of people positively.Â
Â Catch you next time on The Lessons in Real Estate Show!